L'immagine può contenere: 1 persona , occhiali
Marginal Mennonite Society

On this date in 1930 (Dec. 9th), Eberhard Arnold was “incorporated into the Brotherhood who are called the Hutterites” at the Standoff Colony, near the town of Macleod, southern Alberta, Canada. Ten days later, on Dec. 19th, 1930, Eberhard was “confirmed in the service of the Word.” Present and officiating were the following Hutterian elders: Elias Walter, Christian Waldner, Johannes Kleinsasser, and Johannes Entz. In the 1920s, Eberhard and several others had founded the Society of Brothers (aka the Bruderhof Communities) in Sannerz, Germany. They organized themselves communally based on their understanding of the early church, the Sermon on the Mount, and their reading about the Hutterites of the 16th century. A while later, Eberhard discovered, to his delight, that the Hutterites were still in existence. After establishing contact, he embarked on an extended trip to North America, during which time he visited many Hutterite colonies. Eberhard’s ordination at Standoff in December 1930 resulted in his group becoming known as the “Hutterian Society of Brothers,” or Arnoldleut. The relationship between the old and new Hutterites was always strained, however, and in 1955 a break in relations caused each side to go their own way. In the mid-1970s a reunification occurred, but by the 1990s the relationship fell apart again.
~The Marginal Mennonite Society Anabaptist History Series.

Advertisements